Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Days

I always enjoyed Memorial Day when I was in high school. The North Olmsted marching band would participate in a morning parade that commemorated the local veterans and featured a ceremony at the city park, located right around the corner from our house. While many of those Monday mornings from my teenage years were spent with bleary eyes, I took special pride in being a part of this parade.

My Boy Scout troop also participated in the parade. Before high school, I marched with the troop, as well. During those years, even though I wanted nothing to do with the armed forces (I'm very anti-war), I still appreciated and respected the men and women who place(ed) themselves in harm's way to protect our country and our freedoms.

I know it sounds corny to write sentiments like this, especially when Facebook was filled with the same kind of statements all day yesterday. But I want to add my voice to the masses. And if it's a day late, that's even better. We shouldn't have just one day to say "thank you" to the veterans who served the United States. Everyday should be Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment