Saturday, January 26, 2013

Love Will Find a Way

All of the research that went into writing the book (i.e. digging through my old blogs to locate the original Basement Songs posts so I could begin adapting) lead me to a couple of discoveries.

1. I've created five different blogs in the past eight years. Including the Basement Songs site, there was one dedicated to updating people about my marathon training; one created for one of our CF walks, a third one dedicated to King's Highway, and finally there was thunderbolt, which was my last blog before I started writing for Popdose.

2. I can import all of the old blog entries to a new blog. For instance, I just imported all of my entries from If I Should Fall Behind, my CF marathon blog, into thunderbolt.

My question to you all is: Would it be worth it to anyone out there to have access to my old entries? Some of them date back to 2003, which is amazing when you think about it. I can't believe that I've been pouring my heart out on the Internet for so long.

A part of me would like everything to be in one place. However, another part likes the idea of everything starting fresh after the book was released.

If anyone reads this and has an opinion, let me know!

In the meantime, here is some Yes to start off your weekend. Jacob was so excited to record and watch Batman and Robin, the dreadful George Clooney starring comic book film from the late 90s.  It is, in my opinion, one of the worst films ever made. To block out the one liners and gaudy imagery, I started listening to Yes music from the 1980s, in particular the Big Generator album. Not sure that was much better.

One track from that LP still has a way of getting to me. "Love Will Find a Way" was released during the fall of my senior year of high school, which was a tumultuous time for me. It continues to amaze me that the melody of this song and the harmonies of Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Chris Squire can still move me and make me recall that period of my life. It's not that I'm being nostalgic or want to relive those years, believe me I don't; it's something chemical in my brain that just reacts to that track. I'm sure we all have those songs in the vaults in our head.

And I'm sure that the past two days, which have been sad and difficult for me, played a part of this song getting a rise out me. Jake had a couple of tough days and all I want to do is wrap my arms around him and keep him safe. The best I can do is offer my love. It will find a way to make things better. Like how I tied this all together? Clever, huh?

Anyway, let me know what you think about importing the old posts. I can't promise that they're any good.

Aloha




3 comments:

  1. Scott
    I find it quite useful to compartmentalise, which is why I have Mainz Daily Photo for my daily contribution from 50°N, 8°W and YMBFA - the one that you might vaguely recall - for the music, observations, puerile humour and geriatric ranting.
    If I were you (and - at the moment with -3°C and freezing rain forecast imminently - I wish I were...) I'd clearly delineate your Basement Songs (as your brand) and your life stuff. It's easy enough to set up links that gather the marathon/film/soul-searching (which you do so eloquently btw) stuff together (tag and put the search result link for people to find)
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Create a sixth blog -- like, an author blog -- with links to the other blogs, or compile all the non-Basement Tapes blogs into one, and make that one your author blog. J's right -- you should keep the Basement Tapes book blog separate, for people who just want to engage with you about the book.

    Whatever you do, make sure you save everything somewhere, in case Blogger one day decides to start deleting idle accounts.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could also migrate to Wordpress and get your own .com domain for $15 a month. I've got both blogs over there and I've yet to regret it

      Delete