Wednesday, January 9, 2013

So this is the New Year

We've been home nearly a week and I just now feel as if I'm getting back into my groove. When I get even an extra day off from work it usually takes me a couple to get my head straight. So you can imagine why it's taken so long to return to"normal," so to speak.

BASEMENT SONGS has been available for a month and it's sold over 50 copies. I'm very happy with that number. Considering that my marketing for the book has been minimal, I think it's a nice figure. While some kind people have bought multiple copies, that doesn't account for most of the sales. To all of you who have picked up the book, Thank you!

So what's next?

Now the hard work begins. I'll begin submitting BASEMENT SONGS to various websites for review consideration, as the year progresses. Additionally, I hope to enter it into some contests that judge self-published works of non-fiction. This will take some time, as they'll require money to pay for additional copies of the book. But I will be diligent.

This whole part of publishing is actually scarier for me than the writing. Placing the book into hands of critics, people who can use their words to help or knock down the book, makes my stomach turn. The anticipation of wanting your work to be appreciated is one of those topics most "artists" don't talk about because they want to be, well, artists and not worry about critics. But come on, when you pour your heart and soul into a project you hope that everyone loves it.

At least, that's how it's always been for me.

While I put my nose to the grindstone (a phrase frequently used during my childhood), I hope that those of you who bought BASEMENT SONGS will help spread the word, either by recommending it to people, reviewing it on Amazon or Goodreads, or just passing links to this site and the Facebook page to someone you think might be interested in it.

This whole project is a grassroots effort. And I guarantee that ALL earnings from the sale of the book will go to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

I have other ideas that I will share soon. And if anyone reading this wants to offer input about ways to help spread the news about BASEMENT SONGS I would love to hear from you.
 
Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment