Sunday, October 13, 2013

Gravity and Meatballs

Julie cooked her homemade meatballs tonight. Oh my God, they are the best meatballs you will ever taste. Don't tell her dad, whose recipe she is working from, but Julie makes them better.

Budd, Karyn and their family came over for dinner and they introduced us to their their new dog. It felt like old times, those nights ten or fifteen years ago when we'd get together on a whim. These days, with high school children, everything is planned. You can't just pop in on a Sunday night anymore. Nevertheless, it was wonderful just to have a casual night together.

Last night I saw Gravity, the new film starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, directed by Alfonso Cuaron. It was incredible. I've never seen Bullock better, and Cuaron is a director whose career I will follow for the rest of my life. He is one of those rare directors who can mine human emotion out of spectacle and populous material.

As I drove Sophie to church this morning, I began describing the plot of Gravity. This is one film with a strong female protagonist whose actions are admirable and heroic. I really think Soph might enjoy the film... someday. For, as I told her what happens in Gravity she exclaimed, "The movie sounds BAD!" Mind you, it sounds "bad" to her because Bullock gets stranded in outer space after tragedy strikes and people die. Too serious for Sophie.  She gets more like her mother every day.

Today she tried out for the Saugus Swim Team. I'm so proud of her for doing it. She hasn't been on the parks and rec summer swim team for two years, due to family trips. Yet, when she came home from Ohio this summer she began training on her own. She really did her best to get ready for the tryouts and has maintained a good attitude.

"If it doesn't happen it wasn't meant to be," she's said.

Before her tryout Sophie was told that it was going to be tough to make the team. The girls team is very competitive. She didn't let this intimidate her and she did great. I really hope she makes it. Sophie would be an asset to any team simply because she would never give up and you would see a definite improvement in her skills and time. If only I was making the final decision!

Another weekend comes to a close and I'm surprisingly exhausted. I have a creak in my neck and I can barely keep my eyes open.

Oh, and I've decided to write another book.

Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment